We specialise in holiday claims, recovering compensation for holidaymakers who have suffered injury or sickness while on holiday here and abroad.
It’s so easy these days to book a holiday over the internet; you just log on and jet off. However, although holidays are a time for fun and relaxation disaster sometimes strikes, with thousands of British people each year suffering injury or illness whilst on their travels, whether abroad or in the UK.
Our team of personal injury solicitors in Devon and Somerset are experienced in dealing with a range of holiday claims, including claims for holiday sickness, injuries at sea or in the air and accidents in hotels, on excursions or on the road.
Some of the holiday claims we have dealt with on a no win, no fee basis include:
- Slips and trips on wet floors or defective paths and steps;
- Food poisoning stemming from poor hygiene in hotels and on cruise ships;
- Water sports and skiing accidents; and
- Poor safety on day excursions or adventure trips;
The Package Travel Regulations make a UK tour operator or holiday provider responsible for all of the services provided as part of a holiday package, even if those services are provided abroad. The Regulations therefore enable us to bring holiday claims here in the UK even when the accident or illness occurred abroad. It is so much easier for people to deal with a holiday claim in this country and it is usually the case that the amount of compensation available here is much higher than it is in other countries. Your legal costs are also usually recoverable if you win your claim.
The time limit for bringing an accident claim in the UK is generally three years. However, different time limits apply to many aviation and accidents at sea, so if you believe you have a claim, it is important that you talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Here are our golden rules for anyone who has accident on holiday, whether at home or abroad:-
- report the holiday accident to someone in charge, get their name, insist they make a written note of it and ask for a copy;
- get the names and addresses of any witnesses to the accident;
- take photographs of where the accident happened and of anything which you believe caused it;
- Seek medical attention for your injuries as quickly as possible; and
- speak to an experienced holiday claim solicitor as soon as you can to see whether you can recover compensation.
If you need help or advice on claiming compensation, contact our specialist holiday claims team.